Monday, March 5, 2012

Showered Beyond Belief

And I thought getting married was cool. Man was I wrong! When you're knocked up, people love to throw you showers! I also happen to have really really cool family and friends--like the kind people should be envious of--they're so amazing. I hate when people use the phrase "I'm so blessed" because I feel like it's a highly overused saying, but when you have Monica-Rachel-Phoebe style relationships in real life, it's hard not to get gushy.

Two weekends ago, my three best friends on the west coast threw me an amazing Mustache Bash baby shower, which was perfection seeing as though I'm convinced my baby is going to come out with handlebars, and monacle, and three-piece suit. It was such an amazing day, and I enjoyed every minute of it--including the 2 hours I spent getting ready, knowing it would be one of the last times I touched a curling iron for awhile...

This past weekend concluded shower season for McBaby. My fourth and final shower was held at the place my husband got married almost two years ago--Shade Hotel in Manhattan Beach. My Bar Method boss threw the "sprinkling" for me and my co-worker Dayna, also expecting a boy. As we were opening gifts, my boss got emotional and I had to ask her why. She went on to say there's nothing like experiencing the birth of your first child. Seeing her reaction really made me think--WOW. There's seriously no way for me to prepare for what's going to happen in about one month.

A lot of people have been asking me if I'm scared of labor, and honestly I'm not. I'm sure it's because I haven't even been through it, and don't know any better. But I figure there's no point in stressing about something I literally have zero control over. My two aunts who are nurses have stressed the importance of getting an epidural, because as they've told me, "They're not giving out any awards at the hospital for the women who pass on drugs." So that's also calmed my nerves big time--knowing there is relief at some point.

My general attitude at this point is excitement--over everything. First and foremost to be able to hold someone who needs no one else but me and his daddy in this whole world. A close second on the excitement scale is the fact that this incessant back pain apparently goes away like magic instantly after birth. I'm also pretty stoked to wear pants that I don't have to pull up to my boobs, and that have a zipper and button closure. Oh, and not to have to pee a trickle every 20 minutes.

But mostly my days are spent thinking about my little guy who is just a few short weeks from entering the world and making us an official family! 34 days til my due date and Easter Sunday...and I used to think Lent was a long time...Psssshhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment